Early on during the two-day event, participants and presenters bonded over their mutual belief in the power of play to positively impact people of all ages and abilities. Students, occupational therapists, physical therapists, landscape architects, recreation professionals, educators and individuals representing organizations providing programs, services and advocacy for people with disabilities shared ideas and planned for collaboration beyond the Symposium. The presentations on the benefits of inclusive play across the lifespan provoked a discussion of a new chapter in inclusive play.
Speakers at the 2010 Inclusive Play Symposium included:
- Ernie Dettore, Ed. D., Keystone STARS TA Consultant, University of Pittsburgh Office of Child Development
- Ingrid M. Kanics, OTR/L, President, Kanics Inclusive Design Services, LLC
- John McConkey, Marketing Insights Manager, Landscape Structures
- Marnie Norris-Fischer, Director of Programs,Shane’s Inspiration
- Pamela Wolfberg, Ph.D. Associate Professor, San Francisco State University and Autism Institute on Peer Socialization and Play
- Hedda Sharapan, M.S. Child Development, Director of Early Childhood Initiatives, The Fred Rogers Company
- Al Condeluci, Ph.D., CEO, UCP/CLASS
- Cynthia Gentry, Founding Director, Atlanta Taskforce on Play
- Scott Rains, D.Min., New Mobility Person of the Year
“The Inclusive Play Symposium provided an opportunity for individuals to really have in-depth conversation about something they are all passionate about—play,” explained Ingrid. “The event took on energy of its own as each attendee shared their stories of what a truly inclusive experience can be.”
The Play for Life Symposium offered attendees many new ideas and allowed them to connect with other individuals striving toward the same goal. See more about the 2010 Play for Life Symposium, and stay tuned for details about a 2011 Symposium.
Since 1971, Landscape Structures Inc. has been the leading commercial playground equipment manufacturer in the world. Our employee-owned company is committed to making the world a better place with active children thriving in leading communities year after year, generation after generation. We encourage outdoor play that develops healthy kids and a sustainable world by creating innovative products that are environmentally responsible. Our mission from day one has been to enhance children’s lives by fostering and creating inspiring play experiences while honoring the environment.